Wednesday, March 29

Remind me

For the last week I've been fighting a head cold. I think it might even be a sinus infection. I try to will these things away but this one's hanging on. Then yesterday I felt great. I wasn't lethargic, my ears didn't hurt, and I for once, I didn't have a clogged up nose or sore throat. And I could actually walk without feeling woozy. So this morning really sucked when I woke up to the sinus pain-wooziness again. Just when I thought it was gone for good. After an internal struggle to get my ass out of bed and get to the gym, I got dressed and headed out the door in record time.

As I pulled out of the driveway, I thought I will be fine, the fresh air on the ride in will really help. A few minutes and a big bump in the road later I found my coffee splashing all over the steering wheel, across my sweatshirt - white of course, down my pants - nothing like wet, cold thighs, and dripping onto my new running shoes. I did want to break them in quickly because I hate how white they are, but having coffee spots on them less than 24 hours after I got them wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Not to mention that I just cleaned the coffee grunge out of my car from the last time I spilled it.

So now I'm a whole three-quarters of a block away from home thinking just drive! And as luck would have it, it didn't matter which lane I was in, it was always the wrong one. It didn't take me long to give up any notion of smooth sailing to work so I just stuck it out behind the slow guy not paying attention to where he's going, probably because he has coffee in his lap.

By the time I pulled into the parking structure, I discovered my access card to the lot had slid under the car seat. Trying to dig around for it while in gear is very dangerous for my short legged self. After a struggle that in reality lasted about a second but seemed like an eternity, I was finally in.

A funny thing happens once I get into the fitness center. Everything melts away. Running cleared my head. Watching the sun creep up higher in the sky is so soothing. The seagulls provided extra entertainment as they danced around each other and performed their grooming ritual. It never matters what happens once I'm in that door, I just wish that when the next day comes, I would remember the feeling so I didn't have to convince myself to get up and go all over again. I need to find a way to remind myself...

0 comments:

 
;