Monday, March 20

Homework Part I

I do my homework at work. At least most of it. If there's a big assignment due, I will polish it up on a Saturday but for the most part, it all gets done during the week. Some people here in the office know I'm doing homework, some have actually offered a hand when I struggle. During my finance class I had to work with the time value of money. I thought it was fun but sometimes I wasn't sure if my thought process was correct. So I asked Steve to review my work. He is one of the accountants here and generally he has less to do during the day than I do. He was so excited about having to think about this stuff, he said he hadn't used the time value tables since college. So he reviewed my work, said it was correct, and stated as he left my office, "That's the most accounting I've done since I started working here!" Funny guy.

There are other accountants I've asked for help over the years but I've learned a long time ago to never ask a question in a group. They are all so helpful and willing to give me their best answers, but the problem is their answers aren't always the same. This creates arguments over best practices and general philosophies. In the end they left me confused but honored that they want to help and at the same time frustrated by the complications of their competitiveness amongst each other. Needless to say, I now ask one person, the one with the master's degree in accounting who is philosophical, generous, patient, and most importantly very knowledgeable.

So this morning I've downloaded my assignment for the day - write a work flow - but I just don't feel like doing it. I'm hoping my competitive nature takes over so I get it done quickly enough to be the first one to post the answer, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. My thoughts are on graduation, 5 weeks and 6 days to go. And what will I do with my work time when I'm done with school? I know I need to get better organized so that will come first but then what? I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

0 comments:

 
;