Sunday, March 19

80's Movies

Yesterday Bailee and I went to my mother's just to visit. Bailee likes to go through Uncle Dennis' movie collection, they both had a thing for horror flicks and she wanted to borrow some from his vast collection. Which got me thinking about movies in general. My first thought was how my movie collection is minimal compared to most and I definitely can't stack up against Uncle Dennis' collection. That's a pretty sad indication of the status of my collection since Uncle Dennis has been dead for more than two years. I just don't think there are many movies worthy of a purchase, even when Target has them on sale for $5.50. As Bailee read the DVD titles from the collection, I was surprised at how many bad ones there were. I started thinking about the movies that I did like and I think there's something in common about most of them - they are from the 80's.

These thoughts brought me back to a conversation I overheard earlier in the week between two college-graduated 20-somethings. One was telling the other that he met this woman online and the quote she had on her myspace.com site said, "So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." This guy was thrilled that he was special enough to know where the quote came from. Of course, I'm thinking to myself, doesn't everyone know it came from the movie Caddyshack.? Not to burst his bubble the other guy just nodded, "uh-uh" (chuckle, chuckle under my breath).

Now comes the fun part, between that conversation and going through Uncle Dennis' DVD's, I started thinking about all the good quotes from the 80's movies.

"I want my two dollars!" ...Better Off Dead

"Screws fall out all the time, the worlds' an imperfect place." ...The Breakfast Club

"And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. " ...Caddyshack

"Here is the primate example. You raise a doll-chopping homicidal maniac, and what do you do every time you see him? You give him money. Great!" ...Can't Buy Me Love


"Ladies and gentlemen, you are such a wonderful crowd, we'd like to play a little tune for you. It's one of my personal favorites and I'd like to dedicate it to a young man who doesn't think he's seen anything good today - Cameron Frye, this one's for you." ... Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"That was my skull! I'm so wasted!" ...Fast Times at Ridgemont High

"Hey, Hoops, you ever notice how people die in alphabetical order?" ... One Crazy Summer

"I'm a short, fat slut." ... Overboard

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die." ...The Princess Bride

"Let's have some action! Let's have some asses wigglin'... I want some perfection!" ...Purple Rain


"Oh my God! I've been kidnapped by Huey and Dewey!" ...Ruthless People


"This movie was shot in 3B - three beers - and it looks good, eh?" ... Strange Brew

"Look, you don't know me from Adam. But I was a better man with you as a woman than I ever was with a woman as a man. Know what I mean?" ...Tootsie

"An accident? An accident? Do you realize it's snowing in my room goddammit!" ...Weird Science

I could go on and on...

0 comments:

 
;