Friday, January 23

Telling everyone

I woke up this morning thinking about this lunch thing. I am struggling with the concept. Bailee and Adam are still sleeping and Jeff is on the phone with Sharon. Work is asking questions about the arrangements. I got up and wrote an e-mail to everyone.
Re: Our sweet baby, Stephen Adam Smith
I know that many of you have questions about what happened this week and I can finally muster up the strength to send this to you. I apologize for making you wait, please share this with anyone concerned.
Tuesday night Bailee and Stephen went to bed at 9:30. Adam came home from working second shift and checked on them at 10:30 and they were both sleeping soundly. Adam stayed up to unwind from working and went to check on the baby before he went to bed at 2 am when he found Stephen not breathing and already blue. He immediately started CPR while Bailee called the paramedics. When they got there they told Adam to stop, it was too late.
By 5:30 am Wednesday morning Bailee did the most selfless act of donating all of Stephen’s organs to other children. The coroner performed an autopsy Wednesday to try to explain what happened and this baby was as perfectly healthy on the inside as he was on the outside, therefore the only explanation is SIDS.
We made arrangements through our Pastor and services will be tomorrow (Saturday). Here are the details:
www.pkfuneralhomes.com .

So that is taken care of. I called my aunt who will call the rest of my dad's side of the family. Now back to this lunch thing. Kelly said she will help me cook. I'm certain Jen will too. But I can't focus so I think we will order some food from somewhere. I don't know where and after talking to Bailee she mentioned Brossman's. She knows them from working at the OC Community Center. I told her I was driving there to get food for the lunch. I asked her if it was OK that we do lunch at the house since I have no ambition to plan anything. She says sure, even though it's also nice to go where you don't have to do dishes. We headed out and halfway to Brossman's I told Jeff to turn around and head to the Community Center. We went in and thank goodness Sue and Tina were working. I told them the horrible news and they cried with us. Then I asked for their help. They instantly went into action. They gave us a room and we ordered food. I didn't even think about all that goes along with a lunch - like having a bar. They said they will take care of everything and not to worry. They wanted to help as best as they could. It was like angels swooped down and made it all happen.

Jen is out shopping to find Bailee something to wear. Matt is printing and framing photos for tomorrow.

The neighbor came over carrying ham and rolls. It was the greatest thing, this simple act of kindness was just what we needed. Each of us had a sandwich and then we each had another. I never tasted ham so good. Bailee says it's because it's from National Bakery, I say it's because it's full of compassion that the neighbor brought along with her. Bailee showed her photos of the baby and she offered up the suggestion of going to a support group. She said it helped her when she lost her husband a long time ago. It felt better not to be alone or think you are alone. Her words were perfect.

Bailee just talked to my brother, they are coming from Menomonie. They will be here at midnight just like BJ.

This still is not easy. I need to print photos tonight and get some thank you cards. I need to prepare for incoming family. I need to sleep and dream of something better.

0 comments:

 
;