Friday, February 10

Technological withdrawal

I didn't realize it until I broke it, but I must have my iPod. I have become so dependent on it that now that I don't have it, I feel like I lost an appendage. It gave me refuge from my co-workers when their uninteresting complaints and comments were about to drive me over the edge. It motivated me to run faster every morning. It gave me solace when I felt overwhelmed and wanted to escape. Linus has his blanket and I have my iPod.

All I wanted to do was update my playlist. So I did what I normally do, I connected the USB port from the iPod to my computer. I got a message when the computer found the new hardware that said 'F:\iPod\iControl\iTunes has errors. Run checkdisk utility'. So after going through that process, I tried again with the same bad results. I checked the Apple website support and their suggestion was to upgrade the iPod software and the iTunes software so they are in synch. The iTunes software was already at the most current version, so all I had to do was upgrade the iPod software. This was making sense. So I downloaded the new version, connected my iPod and then I got the error 'formatting failure . disk write error'. So now the thing is really hosed. Back at the Apple support website, I searched for more options. The only suggestion left was to restore the iPod back to the original settings where I would lose everything I had stored. I was OK with this, all I would have to do is re-download all my music which could be done overnight and it would be ready in the morning. Only problem was that I got the error 'firmware update failure' and now there's nothing on the iPod but the image of an exclamation point and a folder with the www.apple .com/support/ipod. Now I'm really screwed, the operating system is gone.

When I mentioned my dilemma to my techy co-workers and friends the only suggestion they could come up with was "The Nano is really cheap now." After some contemplation and going all day without my little device, I was seriously considering the idea. That's when I realized it's time to step away from my pride as a techy guru and make the phone call to the Apple store to see what my options are.

0 comments:

 
;