Tuesday, March 10

Working with the kitties

Working at Second Hand Purrs was not what I expected. Not that I knew what to expect. When I got there the kitties were running free. They were everywhere. It was pretty cool to see them having the freedom to run about. There were four of us there to volunteer tonight. The way that it works is half the place gets a total scrubbing and the other half gets a light clean-up and then the next day it switches. So every other days, these cats get a fresh and clean place, which is better than the state of my cat's home. I don't wash his blankets more than one a week, if that sometimes.

Our first assignment was to remove all the food and water bowls from all the kennels and dump anything in them out. All the dishes get a sterile cleaning everyday no matter which side the the room they're on. Two of us were assigned to the light clean-up and the other two volunteered to work the scrub down. It should have worked out well because between two people, one can start at one end and one at the other, then you don't bump in to each other while working. There was only one problem with that arrangement. One woman wasn't really there to work.

Each kennel had a litter box, a rug, and a kitty bed with a cover. So after all the food dishes were out, I took out the litter box, the bed, then the rug. I shook out the rug first and put it back, shook out the bed and cover next, then put it back and lastly, I raked out the poo from the litter box, added a little more litter then put it back. If there were kitty toys in the kennel, I took a paper towel and wiped them off and put them in the kennel before I closed the door. It was a good way to mark that I finished the kennel by closing the door. Since all the cats were running loose, it didn't seem to matter to them.

I got through all the kennels in no time. And yes, I did all of them except for the one started by the woman who wasn't really there to work. She was so annoying to me. I don't know why, but I guess I went to the shelter to work with the kitties, not with the people so it was probably my expectation that I would be one with the animals, not one with the other volunteers. This woman never shut up. She was old, overweight, wearing really gross costume rings on all her fingers with lime green half worn off fingernail polish on her fingers. She talked incessantly about how she couldn't bend down and clean the lower kennels because it was too hard on her back, and she couldn't really handle shaking out the rugs and beds because of the arthritis in her hands, and she couldn't reach into the kennels because it was too hard to bend over. She was too thirsty and needed something to drink and they sold soda but she didn't bring any money so they had to get her a glass of water and she couldn't stand for very long so they had to find her a chair and all this time she never shut up. It was torture. All I wanted was to be one with those that can only say meow and I got two hours of incessant, boring, unnecessary chatter about nothing. I was so disappointed. But at the same time I tried not to let it bother me because I was all about the cats.

They sent the lazy one into the kitchen area to dry the bowls after they were sterilized. Still she never shut up. The director, Jane was very nice. We hit it off and she tried to engage me in conversation. I didn't volunteer much but I did talk a little about my kids and my cat. They were gearing up for a rummage sale so I promised to bring some Harley samples that I know I won't wear. They were grateful and I will bring them the clothes on Monday.

We got through the entire place pretty quickly - in less than two hours. Jane was thrilled, yet felt guilty because that meant the cats would have to get back to the kennels earlier than usual. I wondered how they knew which one went in which place. Jane said that they head to their homes as soon as she got out the food. We put the clean bowls back into the kennels and sure enough, they headed home when the food started to get distributed. Jane made it perfectly clear that she needs to distribute the food since some of the cats were on diets, some were on special food for illness, and the rest got the regular stuff. Of course, the old woman who never shut up didn' t hear any of it and decided to feed the cats herself. Too lazy to do what is supposed to get done but willing to do the job she's not supposed to. I just don't get it. So Jane had to remind her that she was the only one to feed the cats in a frustrated tone.

Since we were done working, us volunteers chatted a little and played with the cats. As I was sweeping the floor, I started to feel like crap. I was sneezing, coughing, and itchy. I knew what it was, too many kitties were giving me an allergic reaction. This is so disappointing. How am I supposed to work here if I cannot breathe? Why can't anything go the way I want it to go? Just when I thought I found this thing that made me feel good, I'm not sure I can continue. I said good-bye as I heard the lazy one ask someone to call her a cab. Secretly, I think she was hoping for a ride home. I hate to be mean but I came to work with the cats.

I left feeling pretty good about the work, about the cats and the great care they got. About how nice it was to care for them and to hold and pet them. They seemed to like the attention. I wasn't going to let some freaky woman ruin my experience. Unfortunately by the time I got home, I was really miserable. I had to take allergy meds just to stop the wheezing. This is so depressing but I don't care, I am going back on Monday. It felt too good to give up.

Something just occurred to me...how did the woman have money to pay for a cab but no money for a soda?

0 comments:

 
;