Friday, June 23

The intern

The accounting department recently got interns. With management's great skills for planning and (for lack of a better word)...management, of course the interns have no: desk space, computer, chair, supplies. So they play musical desks and sit at the workstation of whomever is on vacation at the moment.

Since I share an office with another employee, I had the pleasure of enjoying the company of an intern for an entire week while my office partner was on vacation...a.k.a seven day fishing/drinkfest. This intern, Megan, was pretty quiet for the most part. It was tough to make any conversation or small talk. I thought she had a chip on her shoulder (bitch) but as I got to know her better it turned out that she was just sarcastic with a dark sense of humor. She's definitely gonna fit in this department.

Megan comes to work 15 minutes before her scheduled start time and leaves 5 minutes after the day ends. She takes her lunch for the appropriate amount of time and rarely takes any breaks or stops to chat with anyone. Megan works with Pat who must have trained her pretty well because she rarely has to ask questions. Nose to the grindstone, she just works away all day.

Towards the end of the week I made a feeble attempt at humor. I told her, "Pat asked me how you're doing. I told him he needs to have a talk with you because you never stop working. Yuck, yuck yuck. " Instead of cracking any inkling of a smile, she says with exasperation in her voice, "I just want to get this done, so I can move on to something else." The poor thing, she actually thinks she is going to get to do something else. I have to talk to Pat and tell him that he has to explain to her that this is it, a never ending project that requires lots of data entry.

Hopefully he can tell her at the end of the day since she will have to move on to a different workstation next week.

0 comments:

 
;