Friday, May 5

Volleyball sucks

Last night was volleyball night. It's a new season and I love to play volleyball. Over the winter I had forgotten how much I hate playing with this team. It all came back to me quickly. I have to find a way out.

The team captain is the nicest guy when he is not on the court. He scrambles for almost every play, therefore when he lets up we tend to miss because we assume he was gonna get it anyway. Of course that's always when he is closer to the ball than we are. I have nicknamed his wife 'The General". This chick is always quick to tell you how to play. "Square up and get behind the ball! Let it hit your forearms not your hands!" Unfortunately she cannot take her own advice. Then we have my co-worker who dragged me into the mess in the first place. She can hit the ball as long as it only requires one hand and she never has to move her feet. So when she misses (almost every time) she complains that conditions just weren't right. It sounds more like whining as the night goes on. Her friend, who works in another department here is about as wide as she is tall. At 4'11" she thinks she is taller than she really is. Always swinging and missing. There are two other guys on the team and if they would show up regularly we just might win a game or two. I have to learn to develop their attitude and come when I am in the mood (which would be almost never) just like they do.

I hate to complain and I know I am not that good. The captain calls me the superstar which I know I am not, but compared to the others it can be a sad but true statement. It's no surprise that they can't get enough players, no one would want to voluntarily join this band of misfits. And I don't mind losing if we had a good effort and could volley the ball. Our first week scores were 21-17, 21-2, 21-7. We suck. Even some of the other teams from last year were complaining about playing us, we don't give them any competition. What was I thinking? Uggghhhh.

0 comments:

 
;