Friday, May 19

Nature vs. the unnatural

Yesterday I got to work and those around me could tell something was wrong. But I couldn't even dare to say it. Even as I am writing this, I feel my eyes welling up, unable to continue. It will eventually take me all day to finish but maybe by writing it down completely, I can get over the horror that I witnessed and move on. At least I hope I can.

The day started as it usually does, shower, coffee, get dressed and head out the door. I felt the usual distractions as I got in my car and headed down the driveway. When will I go workout? What do I want to do at lunchtime? Are there any errands I can get done on my way home? I find the drive to work boring so I tend to make lists of these things in my head. I was less than a mile from home, on the long stretch of Howell Avenue that takes me to I-794 when I noticed that the cars in the opposite direction were just stopped sort of in the middle of the street. Howell Avenue is six lanes across with a very wide median separating the northbound from the southbound lanes. So the expanse of lanes in the other direction tends to fade from view due to the distance from one side of the road to the other.

I couldn't help but look back to see what was holding up the traffic. And there it was. A goose, lying on its back flailing helplessly, neck straining in an attempt to get itself off of the cold, hard pavement. And to no avail, the bird flapped its large wings in a feeble attempt to right itself. It's mates stood in the median waiting patiently for the guy to get up. He strained and strained to get up.


I could see by its colors that it was a male. There were two females just waiting for him. He struggled and struggled as traffic watched in horror. All I could do was keep driving. The groan I let out at the sight of this poor creature would have been heard by others if I had my car window open. I immediately tried to fight back tears from the sorrowful sight of this struggle. But I could not contain my sadness. As I got to the next block and the red light, I almost bumped the car in front of me from trying to see through my tears.

I tried to convince myself that everything would be OK. With traffic all tied up a cop would show up and rescue the bird. Or maybe mother nature would be kind and the bird would just stop suffering. It's hard to think of nature taking its course when such an unnatural thing happens. It had to have gotten hit by a car or truck. And how could someone hit it and keep going? I did not understand. Maybe it was a truck that nicked it and didn't know, that had to be it. No one could be cruel enough to just leave, could they? Doesn't matter as long as it's rescued. So I pray for the bird.

Now if I could only get rid of that horrible image.

0 comments:

 
;