Wednesday, January 15

More Doctor Visits

In the past week-and-a-half I have been to two physicians, a general surgeon who will help perform my spine surgery and my primary care physician who had to do a pre-op physical in order to clear me for surgery. I am used to my primary care doc so that visit is no big deal but I never met this surgeon before so I am hoping he is somewhat likeable.

The general surgeon is Dr. Mahoney and within the first 5 minutes of my visit, I am very comfortable with him.  I immediately noticed his hands. He has hands that look like a surgeon's or an pianist's. He has long fingers that look strong enough to endure hours of tedious, close work.  It comforts me and I know that sounds crazy.

It's been my experience that doctors are usually lacking in personality from all those years of studying instead of socializing, which is a good thing for us patients but this man definitely has some personality. He notices my boots and asks me if they are Steve Maddens. I say yes. He mentions that his daughter has some just like them and I state that I would prefer Jimmie Choos.  His response was that he can have me back in them by summer.  I like that kind of confidence.

After examination, he talks about the incision he will make in my abdomen, from the belly button all the way down to my hysterectomy scar.  Since I have a tattoo of flowers around my belly button, he says I shouldn't worry about how it will look, he will make it look like another stem from the flowers. Ha ha! I really like how comfortable I am around this guy. He is definitely likeable.

0 comments:

 
;