Friday, February 15

Happy Valentine's Day

I had the best Valentine's Day ever. Bailee took off of work so she could come with her dad and me to the VA Hospital. I've spent the last week making little Valentine's treats for the patients there. Elementary school children made Valentine cards and we went with the Legion Riders group to hand out the candy and cards. It was a good time, chatting with the patients and bringing them a little cheer.

When we got through the entire floor we were assigned, we went to the nursing home section and visited with the residents there. We had so many valentines, we spent an hour and a half just going from room to room handing them out without running out. Bailee was a little shy at first but she really got into it after a while. One of the nurses explained that there was a dying man and even though he looked comatose, he could hear us and she urged us to talk to him. So we did. Jeff thought that would make me cry, it didn't but what did was the young Veteran in the wheelchair with no legs. For some reason, I've linked VA Hospital patients with old men, I had blocked out the effects on the young guys. Apparently for good reason, it was too much to bear.

All the same, I will do this again, only next year I will make sure I have a lot more candy so I can stay longer.

0 comments:

 
;