Saturday, November 14

Steely Dan - The Aja Show

There were 13 people in the band, including 3 women backup singers. The show started with the band doing a little jazzy instrumental introduction. Then one of the backup singers symbolically lowered a record player needle onto a record and the band started playing Black Cow, the first song from the Aja album. They continued the album songs in order and of course after the third song, the "album" had to be turned over. The music was flawless. Just sitting back and listening to the sound of Donald Fagen's vocals brought me back to a time when I was younger, less battered by age and experience. It was like good memories of another time flowed like the music. Walter Becker was magical. Playing a guitar is a talent way beyond anything I could imagine, and this guy is the master.

Before the concert, I insisted on a margarita - I had to have my Cuervo Gold. Jeff didn't make the connection until the band played Hey Nineteen, too subliminal at the time for him I guess. It seemed like Aja went by fast. Then Mr. Fagen asked the audience what we wanted to do now, the crowd went wild and the music continued. The Riverside is a great venue, small and inviting, it feels much more intimate than most concerts halls. Every song was familiar, most of them I could sing along from start to finish. The audience was shouting out requests. Their playlist seemed to be never ending. And just when I thought it was coming to an end, there was more. The girls sang a song (Dirty Work), the horns played solos, as did Walter Becker and the pianist. Then there was more. It was incredible.

The audience was filled with people just like us. At just under $250 for two tickets, and there were higher priced ones available, I wondered what kind of crowd would be attending. The middle-aged, balding or grey haired generation was well-represented. It was a nice mellow audience, so we could actually sit and enjoy the show, unlike others where you have to stand through the entire thing. But some things never change, I could smell the dope in the air.

This concert is one of the best I have ever experienced and I would love to come back again tomorrow to see the Royal Scam show. I'm curious to see what those gorgeous singers will be wearing.

0 comments:

 
;