Thursday, November 30

Observation of the Day

As I walk through the office this morning, the first thing I see as I enter the department is Dynae's birthday balloons brightly surrounding her cubicle. I've been looking at these balloons since last week Wednesday. I did the appropriate thing that day and wished her a happy birthday. Her response was, "Thank you but my birthday isn't until Sunday." Under my breath I am saying, "Not that I plan on speaking to you on this Sunday (or any Sunday for that matter), but I digress." It was implied that since it was Thanksgiving week last week the balloons on Wednesday were logical. Duh. And if it weren't already implied, I don't care what day her actual birthday was.

But here we are, more than a week after the birthday balloons went up and the decorations are becoming old. That's when the observation hit me. Since Dynae is a 20-something, the birthday balloons stay up for a week. If the birthday person was 30-something, the balloons would come down the next day. If the birthday person was 40-something, the balloons wouldn't make it till the end of the first day. If the birthday person was 50-something, they would tear balloons down the moment they went up. And if the birthday person was 60-something, they wish someone would care enough to realize that they are having another birthday and decorate with balloons. And we come full circle on the life of a cubicle birthday balloon.

0 comments:

 
;