Sunday, August 16

The winning ticket (again)

Today I attended the Fore Life, Fore Hope Golf Outing at Scenic View Country Club. This was a charity event to raise money for the Medical College of Wisconsin's cancer research center. The real reason I went was that a co-worker, John was the chairperson and I don't mind helping him out. Plus I like golf, even though I am not very good at it.

My foursome played decently, considering none of us golf much. But mostly we had fun. It was a gorgeous day and the course is in Holy Hill, where rolling hills are the norm so the view was fantastic. By the end of the day the sun did me in, and I was ready to call it quits before the last hole. I did finish, even though it was tough.

We got to the clubhouse where we had a nice banquet dinner and the golf prizes were awarded. On the course we had the opportunity to buy raffle tickets, and if you got the ball on the green in one, your raffle tickets were doubled. That didn't matter, none of us did it. Although we came close a few times. John stopped by to thank me for putting a foursome together and he let me know that he really appreciated it by giving me two extra raffle tickets. I pointed to the Cornhole game that he had as a prize and I told him jokingly I really hoped to win that. It looked like it was a lot higher quality than the ones at the game stores.

In the past year, at charity events that both John and I attended I've won a microwave oven, a trip for two (airfare and hotel), two $50 gift cards for local restaurants, and an overnight stay in a hotel suite. There were a few other small things as well so John is always teasing that he knows I'm going to win something!

I don't think about it, or hope for it, I just buy the tickets like everyone else. The raffle started and they called off number after number and finally, one of our foursome got a prize. I was glad because it was the newest member of our team. Three of us golfed together last year so it was cool that the new guy won. All the prizes were awarded except the last two. John looked at me with this, "what's up?" look, like I was supposed to automatically get a prize. I just rolled my eyes thinking fat chance, my luck can't hold out forever.

The second last prize was awarded. Then they brought out the Cornhole game and I said to my team, if there was a prize I could pick that would have been it - it's so cool. And the number was called. I popped up out of my chair hooting and cheering all the way up to the winner's table! It was mine and I could not believe it. John just shook his head.

Right before we were getting ready to leave he stopped by my table to congratulate me again and I mentioned that the winning ticket was one of the two he gave me, I didn't win off of the tickets I bought. (He asked me not to mention that to anyone.) It was a fun evening and I still cannot believe my luck. If only I could get that darn lottery ticket to match later tonight.

0 comments:

 
;