Monday, July 13

Travel decision is done

I won a travel gift certificate at last year's golf outing and all I remembered is that it expired before the next golf outing. So I had a year to use it. Or so I thought. The outing is always the third Wednesday in July and for some reason I had it stuck in my head that I had that long to use it. Seeing the the outing is just a week and a half away, I better use the thing now. So I dug it out of my important papers, opened it and discovered that it expired on Friday! Oh my God, I just let $600 slip through my fingers. I couldn't believe I could be so stupid.

So I called the travel agent and told them my dilemma and they graciously agreed to extend the expiration date for six more months. I was extremely grateful but I also told them I would be there before the end of the day. I had to finally decide. As crazy as it sounds, making this travel decision was terribly difficult. Ever since I won it, I found it almost a burden to try to spend it wisely. And since January, I have been consumed with grief making it impossible to decide what to do with the prize travel money. Today was the turning point, letting it slip through my fingers is a terrible waste, one that I could not afford. For months I thought about Alaskan cruises, tropical vacations, even spending it on a trip to a Packer game in a warm state in winter. I just had so much trouble. But in the back of my mind I have always wanted to go to the Charles M Schulz museum. It seems frivilous to travel all the way to Santa Rosa, California to see Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the gang that I love so much. The justification came when I reminded myself that this was a prize, a prize I won and I could do what I wanted with.

When we got to the travel office, the agent reiterated that we could extend the gift certificate for six more months so I really didn't have to decide today. I told her that would mean I would be back there in six months asking for another extension, so I need to get this done. I explained my desire to see the museum to the travel agent, she turned to her computer typed a few lines and said, "You're going on a wine country tour, and staying in the Sonoma Valley. I have a 4-star hotel for you 6 miles from the Charles M Schulz museum. Is that OK?"

"Umm, yeah", I said.

Jeff says half-heartedly, "So we're gonna do Sideways?"

Sure looks that way. After a few scenarios through three different California airports, all close to Santa Rosa, the travel agent gets us into San Francisco by 11am so we have lots of time to drive 50 minutes to Santa Rosa before rush hour.

Jeff says, "We are going to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch!" Now there's enthusiasm in his voice.

The travel agent mentions Muir woods, many wine tastings, and driving to the ocean. There are plenty of things to do besides the museum and that cheers us both up. The trip doesn't feel so frivolous any more.

I have a sense of relief for finally deciding, and actually feel like there's something to look forward to. I'm glad I got this done.

0 comments:

 
;