Friday, January 19

Funeral for a friend

I realized today that there are many ways to define friends. There are work friends, gym friends, neighbor friends, childhood friends, and so many others we call our friends. I'm not sure what I would call Arlen, my first thought is aquaintence. He was everyone's friend. Even if you didn't know him he would treat you that way. He was famous, at least he was to me, or maybe it would be better to describe him as the person I knew who was closest to fame. He even impressed Tom Hanks once. Arlen was resting at a wayside on one of his many motorcycle trips when Tom Hanks' bus went by. Tom took one look and turned the bus around, he had to meet this guy. This wasn't one of those urban legends, there are pictures to prove it.

Arlen called me sweetheart. I always thought it was because he didn't know my name. He knew so many people I'm sure I didn't really matter. Even though I talked to him at motorcycle events, we volunteered at the same charity events which is where I really got to know him better. It turned out he really did know my name, and he didn't call everyone sweetheart so that made me feel special.

When I left the board meeting Saturday morning I made a note to call Arlen. He was going to work on a fun summer motorcycle event, the pictorial pursuit and I wanted to help. Little did I know that by the time I left that meeting Arlen would be dead. Call Arlen. I still have the note.

The funeral was on Thursday. I went to the doctor in hopes of getting better medicine for the damn bronchitis that has been torturing me since before new year's eve to no avail. Since I left work early I figured it best to head over to the funeral home early. It didn't matter, there were so many people, it took an hour just to get through the line. Funny thing was that I wasn't wearing Harley gear, one of the few, so I was mistaken as a relative. At the funeral, I didn't even notice that his motorcycle was by the casket. There were so many flowers from all his friends and the groups of people he helped. He helped lots. It was certainly apparent how much he helped. His helmet with the horns were set on top of the casket encircled with flowers. It was quite touching.

Arlen will be missed, I know I will miss his charm and kindness. And I know I can truly call him friend.



0 comments:

 
;