Sunday, December 10

Skate, skate, and skate some more

My son's girlfriend, Jeanette wanted to go ice skating for some time. So last Sunday we headed to Pettit Ice Arena for an evening of skating. My son, BJ, Jeanette, her girlfriend, the girlfriend's boyfriend and I looked like an odd group. Mostly because they are all near 20 and I am...well, let's just say more than double that. I wish I could remember the girlfriend and her boyfriend's names but they just didn't stick.

We got to Pettit and all of us had to rent skates but Jeanette. She had her own and apparently she was good at skating. As we tip-toed to the ice, my main concern was to not fall down and I did succeed at staying in an upright position. Since it took everything in my power just to stand up on skates, I relied on my runner's stamina as I glided around in circles for the entire two hours that we were there. Running every day does have its benefits so 2 hours on ice was pretty easy for me to do. GF and BF seem to spend more time on the bench watching then actually skating.

BJ was on the ice while Jeannette skated circles around him. With one foot over her head she skated. She skated backwards, forwards, and in circles while the rest of us spent our energy focusing on standing up. She didn't only skate around BJ she was making circles around all of us. For a moment I was tempted to just push her down. All that energy, all that youth, all that talent.

Actually I am just teasing I would never really push her down. I was the first to give up and give in. It wasn't for a lack of energy but my skates gave me a big blister on the back of my foot so I was done. Even with that, I might have continued but the blister had popped already creating great agony and pain. The friends were next to call it quits. They weren't all that into it in the first place so I was surprised that they weren't done before me.

Eventually BJ and Jeanette had to stop, the rink was closing. They had no choice. As we're heading off the ice, Jeanette announces that she likes in-line skating better. So next Sunday we should go the the Rollaero and roller skate. I told her that I also liked in-line skating better, mostly because I have my own skates and I am certain that they will never give me blisters. So she says we should go. I told her I didn't think I could since I would be going to Chicago for the day next Saturday. She announced, "But I want to skate on Sunday," in a whiney tone. She didn't seem to understand that it's way too much for me to spend all day in Chicago then spend the next day rollerblading. I just don't have the energy of the 20-somethings. I knew I should have pushed her down when I had the chance.

0 comments:

 
;